Thursday, December 23, 2010

Looking Back in 2010

Although 2010 is technically not over, it is never a bad thing to sit down and reflect.

Having done alot of new things & accomplished a good amount, I don't want to leave anything out.

For starters I will have to say getting closer to finishing school next year is an achievement. It's not the degree I want but I didn't quit & will finish to have a degree so I can start on what I really want.
During the whole year I have been thinking about what I want to get into and well Science & anything related is a must.

Another major thing I have done was travel to places I've never been before. A few being New York, Chicago, Philly and Atlantic City. To some this may not amount to anything but to me this is a pretty big deal. I definitely want to travel more in the new year and this just opened the door. In the next year I plan on the west coast, mid-west and maybe even out of the country.

Career-wise I have turned around completely. I went from hating my job day in and day out to absolutely loving each day. Now I cannot credit this all to myself. I have to thank the people I work with in believing in me and giving me a chance. So in the next year I am determined to fully submerge myself in changing the course of where my career life is headed.

One thing I have never done before was be in a plane and well jumping out of it. The adrenaline rush you get when the plane is reaching 12,000 feet and the door opens is unexplainable. The feeling you get when you feel the wind rush in and you look down as you get into position is incredible. Finally, jumping out and experiencing the free fall and you're just one with the earth is a feeling I long for. It changes your outlook on life and I am so thankful for having that opportunity.

Two books that I read over the year really changed my perspective on how I choose to live my life. The first being "Cheap" which basically illustrates our spending habits as a globally economy and how we affect the world. The book also discusses the hidden costs of costly made products. The second is "The 7 habits of Highly Effective People" which illustrates everything you could possibly think of. It has helped me realize that I am in control of my habits, emotions, reactions... life in general and how you can cultivate yourself to being who you want to be.

Since then, I am more aware of myself and how my actions affects others. I do my best to purchase USA made, local, non animal-tested food & products. I can only hope to inspire others to make transitions to make the world a better place. Also I have become more thankful despite any situation I am in. If I am having a bad day or something minute is affecting me, I just take a step back and am thankful that I am in that situation and that my life could be much much worse.

I completed a 8k fun run this year despite having numerous foot problems, lung issues and having never ran before. During training I had actually injured myself and was unable to run for about 2 weeks before the race. But all in all I finished the race in pretty good time and the high I felt afterwards was unbearable. I was so proud that I could accomplish this while helping out a good cause. Another physical thing I accomplished was the Maryland State Police Polar Plunge. I had a great team to do it with and will be doing the same this coming January. What this proved to me was that it is mostly all mental and if you think you can do it, then you can and vice versa.

One major goal I have for the new year is moving out on my own ( most likely with a roommate I know, trust & can be 100% honest with ). Another goal I have is to have a clearer picture of what I want to do with my life and know how to go about doing so. I want to continue the great habits I have developed into the new year and be more serious about staying in good health & working out more than I am right now. I also want to continue to do my very best at work & maintain the great relationships new & old that I have.

2011 will be a truly exciting year & I can't wait to accomplish these goals and then some!

4 comments:

  1. damn girl, you've accomplished a lot this past year!! kudos on almost being done with getting a degree. I'm right there with you although I won't be done until 2012. Can't wait to see what 2011 holds for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can speak for all the folks in the office when I say that you deserve to be believed in, you're welcome, and we're very glad to have you as part of the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this post of yours so much that you've inspired me to start a blog myself, but it's too late to write anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww YAY!!! Bravo on all of your accomplishments!!! You have done a great job and I will have to pick up those two books ASAP!

    ReplyDelete