Monday, April 2, 2012

My Landmark Forum Experience

Over this past weekend, I spent 9am - 10:15 pm Friday through Sunday at the Landmark Forum in Alexandria, VA.

The week prior I read up on what to expect and what I read was a mixture of good and bad. I read it's a cult, blood sucking, rules rules rules type of deal. However I had also read that it was a fulfilling experience and worth it. My boyfriend completed it a few years ago and was excited and all for it.

So the first day, I arrived tired and nervous. Within 1 hour, we found out one thing, "You are a jerk." We learned about rackets and our strong suits. A major breakthrough that I had was "What happened" and "Story/interpretation". We were given assignments to do where one was to write a letter to someone I had been writing a racket on. By the end of the night I was energized and exhausted.

Second day, we learned about strong suits and how an incident occurred that made us how we are today. Translation: You are making decisions based on your {insert young age here] age self. Still you are a jerk. Before break, more people shared and this day was what I call the waterworks day. During break we were to call the person we wrote the letter to. I did so and man was that hard getting myself to do that but as I was talking, it was super easy. I felt so much better after doing that.

More people shared their life stories which I found to be incredible. During break we were to go out to eat with a group. "What?!?! no! why?!" were my thoughts. So I went out with my group and I'm glad I did. Our assignments were of the same format but the letter was targeted towards sharing how you were inauthentic or incomplete with.

Third day, I did not write my letter (because I'm still a jerk) so whoever did not, had to write it during a break. My decision was based on what are the issues I'm bringing into my present relationship(s) so I began writing. After break we had to share our letter to our partner. More sharing and sharing until another break. I used my letter as an outline and called this person. Thought it was done and I'm glad I accomplished it. I feel complete you could say. When we returned, we learned what the forum was all about. My luck, I was nauseous, had a head cold and cold chills. I slept in my car for about an hour and returned. Graduates were invited to the last part of the evening so Justin was there. Awesome!

Tuesday evening is the last meeting for this weekend and looking back on everything, I'm glad I attended and really participated. I also recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment